[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Compatible Gigabit NICs
 Date:  Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:11:03 -0500
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:58:01 -0600, Justin Sirois <justin at onthez dot com> wrote:

> That has been my approach so far, and it's been utter failure.  None of the
> cards on my Specs list match any of the cards on my Compatible chipset list.
> There certainly may be one but not that I have been able to fine.

I just did a quick search on Newegg for gig cards and came up with this.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-127-134&depa=0
as just one of probably many that are supported (that's the only one I
checked).  That one in particular does support jumbo frames, and does
have FreeBSD driver support.

I'm sure there are probably a number of other cheap cards on Newegg
that'll work.  Remember with NIC's though, you get what you pay for.
If you really need high throughput, the $150+ USD cards are going to
suit you much better than the $20 ones.  The cheaper cards will flood
your system with interrupts under heavy load and max out your CPU long
before the more expensive cards will.  The price difference comes
largely from the capabilities of the card, where cheap ones offload
most everything to the CPU, more expensive ones can do more without
CPU involvement.

> Is there any place to find out what chipsets were added to the 1.2b1 version
> of m0n0wall?

Not sure.

-Chris