[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Keith Redfield" <kredfield at airsurfwireless dot com>
 To:  <seth at pachai dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall Consulting
 Date:  Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:44:21 -0800
Hi Seth,

Nortel (nee Bay Networks) routers support OSPF, BGP and other nice large routing protocols for
handling Really Big Networks - roughly equivalent to Cisco's in that regard. I don't think m0n0 has
that on the drawling board per se - but on the other hand, it's intended use is as a perimeter, not
a core device. Perimeter devices don't really have any business doing much beyond advertising what's
behind them, and that's generally a smallish network. BGP peering might be nice, (for DNS)  but
still mostly overkill.

The big routing protocols other main advantage beyond capacity is rapid convergence, which in a
hospital might be rather important...so even small networks sometimes use EIGRP, OSPF, etc.

Cheers,

-Keith
(wannabe WASP l^)