[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Holger Bauer" <Holger dot Bauer at citec dash ag dot de>
 To:  "Abdul Aziz" <aaziz at justbooking dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  AW: [m0n0wall] Block msn and yahoo messenger
 Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:51:24 +0100

you can sent the logon domainnames of the messengers to nirvana by entering DNS-entrys in your
DNS-Server to a static IP that doesn´t exist. I once had a list with all logondomains for messengers
(for example something like: logon.yahoo.com). If you use the m0n0 for DNS just add the DNS-entries
there. Use google to find the logondomains of the messengerservices. No logon, no chat! ;-)
Of course this could be overriden by using another DNS-Server or entering DNS-entries in a local
machines hostfile but the user first has to find out why the messengers don´t connect to do so,
right? There are also Webversions of the Messengers, if you want to block those too specify also
entries for these like "go.icq.com".

Blocking special Ports won´t help, as many messengers try to connect via port 80 (http) if the
native ports are blocked, so the only way with mono I know is using fake DNS-entries.

Holger Bauer