[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JSimoneau at lmtcs dot com
 To:  mike at havepc dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] can't access to a domain name which is hosted in my LAN
 Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:21:32 -0500
Mike,

What are you using for DNS on your LAN? And how is your network setup in
regards to your web server? Does your web server have a public IP, or a
private IP that the m0n0wall is NAT'ing some ports on its public IP to?

If your web server is using a private address (say its 192.168.1.5) and
m0n0wall is doing the NAT'ing for that, it might be a simple dns issue. If
you are using your ISP's dns servers on your PC, your pc will try to
resolve the domain name for your web server and it will get the public IP
for the webserver (public IP on the router) instead of the private IP
address 192.168.1.5 on your LAN.

If this is the case, you'll either need to create a static dns entry on
all the PC's, or use the DNS forwarder feature in m0n0wall designed to
handle this.

Or, if I'm totally off base here, ignore this post!

- Josh