[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche dot us>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Intel PRO/100 Intelligent Server Adapter Support
 Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:40:57 -0600
Brett Krueger wrote:
> Kevin Bowling wrote:
>

>> <http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/pro100i/index.htm>
>> - Is there any *BSD support for these NICs?  These make use of a full
>> i960
    ^^^^
> they work nicely in freebsd yea. there one of the best nics to use.

I'm sorry, read that again.

You're thinking of other Intel PRO/100 cards *without* the i960, which
use the fxp driver.  No disagreement about fxp cards - the
non-'Intelligent Server Adapter' cards are some of the best around,
regardless of OS.

The cards the OP is posting about has an i960 chip on it for handling
Cisco ISL VLANs and other things I can't remember right now.

Because of the i960 chip there is no open-source support for them,
period, end of story.

In fact, Intel EOLed them in 2000, and in the Windows world you'd be
lucky if they worked under Windows 2000, forget about XP or 2k3.

IMO the best place for the Intel PRO/100 ISA cards is the dumpster.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche dot us