[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Greg Brown <gregbrown at mindspring dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  A couple mono questions
 Date:  Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:57:43 -0500
Last night I presented m0n0 to my local LUG.  I feel the presentation
came off fairly well and we managed to get some good audience
participation where they posted a few good questions I'd like to run
across the board.

1. If one were to use the generic PC image how many ethernet ports can
m0n0 address?  This particular client has a need for a 32 port
firewall.  Can m0n0 handle this given enough processor power and RAM?
The thought was the BSD subsystem should be able to handle it well
enough but  what about m0n0 itself?  Is there a mathematical formula to
determine the processor and RAM requirements for a system such as this?

2. Has anyone ported m0n0 to SPARC or powerPC?  Is this something that
is being investigated for future releases?

3. Under the m0n0 license could the product be rebranded for resale?
The thought here was as a consultant could you, in a managed firewall
setup for a customer, paint the Soekris case (for instance) can it a
Company X SuperWALL, or whatever, and be in compliance with the
license?

There are a couple more questions but I'll have to dig through my notes
to find them.

Thanks to everyone on the list and to the developers of this fine
firewall.  I made mention, several times, that the only thing more
impressive then M0n0's ease of configuration, reliability, and breadth
of features was the user group on this list and everyone's willingness
to help out.

Greg