[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Soenke J. Peters" <peters underscore underscore m0n0wall at opcenter dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re[2]: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2b3 on WRAP with RTL8139
 Date:  Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:19:50 +0100
Hi Chris,

CB> Using the generic-pc image might be a quick fix for that.
CB> I'd stay away from recompiling the kernel if possible, as that could
CB> get ugly fast.  All the patches are kernel patches, hence the
CB> filename.  ;)
CB> http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-patches.html

thx  for  your  reply.  The generic PC image didn't work at all on the
WRAP  (maybe  just  because  the  WRAP  has  no keyboard, but I didn't
investigate that).

So I recompiled the 4.10 kernel with WRAP config + patches applied.

The  WRAP  manual and the mailing list archives showed some additional
things to take care of:
 A  change  in sys/dev/ata/ata-pci.c to prevent waiting for ATA device
 (see     mailing     list     archive)    and    another    one    in
 sys/i386/i386/vm_machdep.c to make reboots work (see wrap1c.pdf).

Now  with  Realtek  support  compiled into the kernel (device rl), the
mini  pci nic with its RTL8139 is detected correctly and can be set up
as an optional NIC (OPT1/2).

A  major  problem (maybe a bug in m0n0wall) was the config file. After
having  uploaded  the  config.xml  from  my previous setup via the web
interface,  things  didn't  work - I wasn't even able to enter the Web
GUI  again.  I  had  to  reboot,  restore  factory defaults, setup the
interfaces  again,  reboot,  set  correct  LAN  IP,  enter Web-GUI and
re-enter all my setup manually.
But it seems to work now.

Next thing to do is playing with the GPIO to make one of the front LED
light  up  when  internet  connection  is  online. If someone did that
before  on  FreeBSD - plz post your sources, as I hate to reinvent the
wheel.

Have a nice weekend,
--
  ____           Soenke Jan Peters
 |_  _|           Rostock, Germany (54:03:34N, 12:07:39E)