[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Greg Brown <gregbrown at mindspring dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] A couple mono questions
 Date:  Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:43:14 -0500
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:57:43 -0500, Greg Brown <gregbrown at mindspring dot com> wrote:
> Last night I presented m0n0 to my local LUG.  I feel the presentation
> came off fairly well and we managed to get some good audience
> participation where they posted a few good questions I'd like to run
> across the board.

Cool!

> 1. If one were to use the generic PC image how many ethernet ports can
> m0n0 address?  This particular client has a need for a 32 port
> firewall.  Can m0n0 handle this given enough processor power and RAM?
> The thought was the BSD subsystem should be able to handle it well
> enough but  what about m0n0 itself?  Is there a mathematical formula to
> determine the processor and RAM requirements for a system such as this?

I'm not aware of any limits on interfaces.  The problem would probably
be fitting 32 ports into the case!  :)  Most systems only have 6 PCI
slots, so even with 4 port NIC's you only get 24 ports.  Another
problem is PCI bus throughput, if those 32 ports each need to push a
decent amount of data, you're going to overwhelm it quickly.  Even on
a server class motherboard with multiple PCI buses you could overload
it without much trouble with that many ports.  Lastly, I must question
the network design of anybody that needs 32 ports on a firewall.
m0n0wall has VLAN support, which would almost certainly be more
suitable.

> 2. Has anyone ported m0n0 to SPARC or powerPC?  Is this something that
> is being investigated for future releases?

The SPARC and PPC FreeBSD ports are nowhere near production ready.
See http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/freebsd-sparc/status.html
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html

If you have time on your hands and know BSD, a port to NetBSD would
allow these platforms and many others.

> 3. Under the m0n0 license could the product be rebranded for resale?
> The thought here was as a consultant could you, in a managed firewall
> setup for a customer, paint the Soekris case (for instance) can it a
> Company X SuperWALL, or whatever, and be in compliance with the
> license?

Chet is 100% correct, I'll leave that with his explanation.

-Chris