[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mika <mikata at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] performance & throughput
 Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:57:12 +0100
> >    Internet
> >      ^
> >      | 1 Mbps
> >  +----------+     1000Mbps     +-------------------------------+
> >  | MonoWall |   <---------->   | perimeter network - 4 servers |
> >  +----------+                  +-------------------------------+
> >      || 1000Mbps
> >      \/
> >     LAN
> >
> > Is MonoWall suitable for this scenario? Is it powerfull enough for 1000Mbps? Could you recomend
me suitable HW configuration for MonoWall box in this scenario.

We got a test on this list with a Opteron 1,6GHz... maybe this helps you:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=119&actionargs[]=78

> With a really fast box and good quality PCI-X gig cards on separate
> PCI buses, it should push upwards of 700-800 Mb easily.  Can't say
> that I've tried it specifically with m0n0wall.
>
> I've specifically tested some 'em' Intel PRO/1000 desktop NIC's on
> FreeBSD.  A P4 1.6 will push about 550-600 Mb, and a P3 733 about 400
> Mb.  One NIC only, no routing.  For routing, it would probably be a
> bit less than half of that.  The bottleneck in both cases is the CPU,
> because those cards offload most everything to the CPU.  They're only
> $30 USD a pop though, you need something much better than those, some
> of the higher end Intel gig cards are supported and should do well.
>
> I question how much you really need gig wire speed throughput,
> considering the cost of the box that would be required.  For a
> commercial firewall, you'd be looking at at least $5-10K USD to get
> wire speed, and probably $2500 for a m0n0wall box.  You'd need the
> fastest processor you can get, a server motherboard with multiple PCI
> buses, and good quality gig cards.  For your internet connection
> speed, you could get by with a $200 box like a WRAP or Soekris.  If
> you're just running some web and mail servers in your perimeter
> network, you'd get by with a Soekris unless you have to push some
> serious traffic from those perimeter servers.

Arent there cheap PCI-Express boards available that using a fast Gbit
NIC and a huge P4 could maybe get up to the Gbit ?