[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Dan Bond <dan dot bond at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Date:  Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:32:50 -0500
Dan Bond wrote:

>I don't think anyone was suggesting moving the mailing list, just that
>gmail is a nice interface for viewing the email. Of course a client
>like evolution will be better, but for web interfaces gmail really
>does make mailing lists easy.
>
>Dan

That's what I read as well.  I'm not sure where the "move the mailing
list" concept came in.  I've recently started using a gmail account for
another of my lists and it's very nice for a web based interface.  I
still prefer my local client, but given the option of most webmail
choices vs. gmail, there's no contest.  As to what they do with your
info, that's a totally separate issue entirely, and if you don't like
their T&C by all means, don't sign up.  Just don't complain because
someone else does.  I have a lot more issue with folks who use free
accounts for mailing lists that exceed their capacity more days than not
and wind up bouncing things to everyone on the list.

</soapbox> :)

later...

Melvin

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:47:04 -0000, Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc> wrote:
>

>>I agree with Hilton, I'm avoiding gmail like the plague and I'd be very
>>concerned about any attempt to move the mailing list away from the
>>community's control and administration. It's not just the privacy aspects
>>that bother me - with yahoogroups, gmail, or any of these, you're getting
>>something for nothing, which (from the little I remember from my college law
>>course) means they can pretty much terminate your list/email addy at any
>>time they see fit.
>>
>>To be honest, most modern mail clients have a pretty good "arrange by
>>conversation" mode which handles mailing lists fairly well. I've been doing
>>this on windows boxes since about Outlook 2000 time (it's a lot better in
>>2003, btw), and on the *nix side you've got plenty of mail clients also
>>capable of this (Evolution certainly ranks amongst the top I'd say).
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Chris
>>--
>>C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
>>Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579
>>AIM: MinotaurUK   MSN: minotauruk at hotmail dot com   Y!: Minotaur_Chris
>>This email is made from 100% recycled electrons

Melvin Backus
Principal Wizard
Sleepy Dragon Enterprises
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for
you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup!