[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2b3 - Error with PPPoE idle timeout
 Date:  Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:36:27 +0100
Hi Vincent!

Am Dienstag, den 18.01.2005, 16:06 +0100 schrieb Vincent Fleuranceau:
> The problem is that I get an error message whatever I do. If leave the
> field blank, I get: "The field 'Idle timeout value' is required."
> (that's OK). But when I try to set the value to zero, I get the same
> error...
A value of "0" disables dial-on-demand [1]. There is no need for filling
in a value of "0", because disabling this feature is done by not setting
the check mark. That's why you'll get an error message.

> - Is this a bug in the input validation code?
Yes and no. There could be a better error message or no message at all
(because the value of "0" is defined by mpd). I will take a close look
at the code and think about this confusing situation.

> established after a reboot. I just need to care of it when there are
> troubles with the DSL line itself. Can someone give me some
> clarification on this topic?
There is no need for you to use dial-on-demand. Dial-on-demand makes a
connection, if there is any IP packet destined for the outside and shuts
down the connection after a defined timeout, if there isn't any IP
packet in this time. What you want, is an always-on connection. This is
the default behaviour for the pppoe daemon (mpd). Sometimes mpd isn't
able to make a connection. This isn't the fault of mpd but the fault of
your ISP and you can't do anything against it (ok, maybe calling the
hotline of your ISP, but nothing technically with m0n0wall).

Ciao ...

[1] http://www.dellroad.org/mpd-doc/mpd21.html#21

 copyleft(c) by |           Steal my cash, car and TV - but
 Peter Allgeyer |   _-_     leave the computer!  -- Soenke Lange