[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vincent Fleuranceau <vincent at bikost dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2b3 - Error with PPPoE idle timeout
 Date:  Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:21:00 +0100
Peter,

>>The problem is that I get an error message whatever I do. If leave the
>>field blank, I get: "The field 'Idle timeout value' is required."
>>(that's OK). But when I try to set the value to zero, I get the same
>>error...
>
> A value of "0" disables dial-on-demand [1]. There is no need for filling
> in a value of "0", because disabling this feature is done by not setting
> the check mark. That's why you'll get an error message.

I thought a value of ZERO was used to disable the *time-out* feature
only, not the entire dial-on-demand service ;-)

>>- Is this a bug in the input validation code?
>
> Yes and no. There could be a better error message or no message at all
> (because the value of "0" is defined by mpd). I will take a close look
> at the code and think about this confusing situation.

JavaScript may help avoiding this situation by disabling the time-out
input field when the checkbox is OFF...

>>established after a reboot. I just need to care of it when there are
>>troubles with the DSL line itself. Can someone give me some
>>clarification on this topic?
>
> There is no need for you to use dial-on-demand. Dial-on-demand makes a
> connection, if there is any IP packet destined for the outside and shuts
> down the connection after a defined timeout, if there isn't any IP
> packet in this time. What you want, is an always-on connection. This is
> the default behaviour for the pppoe daemon (mpd). Sometimes mpd isn't
> able to make a connection. This isn't the fault of mpd but the fault of
> your ISP and you can't do anything against it (ok, maybe calling the
> hotline of your ISP, but nothing technically with m0n0wall).

So I was right until I start using it ;-)

I just thought it could solve the problem: sometimes, when my DSL
provider do some maintenance, m0n0wall looses the connection and is not
able to reconnect by itself. Too bad :-(

So: do you see a problem if I use dial-on-demand with a high value (say
300 sec.) idle time-out? In fact I trigger the link every 60 seconds
with a simple ping (to keep my IPsec tunnel running), so the time-out
case should never occur. Will that help MPD detect the loss of DSL link
and then reconnect?

Thanks for your answer,

-- Vincent