[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "alan walters" <alan at aillweecave dot ie>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  update on 5.3
 Date:  Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:11:01 -0000
As the following issue has been resolved with pf and pf seems to be stable now, do we have a road
map for future releases

OpenBSD packet filter - pf

Contact: Max Laier <mlaier at FreeBSD dot org>
Contact: Daniel Hartmeier <dhartmei at FreeBSD dot org>

FreeBSD 5.3 is the first release to include PF. It went out okay, but some bugs were discovered too
late to make it on the CD. It is recommend to update `src/sys/contrib/pf' to RELENG_5. The specific
issues addressed are:

Possible NULL-deref with user/group rules.
Crash with binat on dynamic interfaces.
Silent dropping of IPv6 packets with option headers.
Endless loops with `static-port' rules.
Most of these issues were discovered by FreeBSD users and got fed back to OpenBSD. This is a prime
example of open source at work.

The Handbook's Firewall section was modified to mention PF as an alternative to IPFW and IPF.