[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 
 From:  Frank Altpeter <frank dot altpeter at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall general <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DNS problems after hardware exchange
 Date:  Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:59:39 +0100
Hi there,

My problem doesn't seem to be discussed earlier according to the
archive, so please apologise if i'm wrong.

I started to use monowall 1.2-beta3 on an old PC booted from the CDROM
image. Everything was running fine.

But today i changed the box. So, i made a backup of the configuration,
took my soekris box and put a  net45xx image of the 1.2-beta3 on it.
Then i configured it as usual and restored the previously saved
configuration on it.

Since then, the DNS forwarding refuses to work:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> @10.20.30.1 www.cisco.com a
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 7152
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.cisco.com.                 IN      A

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 10.20.30.1#53(10.20.30.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 19 16:52:04 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the side of the configured DNS resolver, i see with tcpdump the
following output when startup occurs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16:55:48.218779 MONOWALL_PTR.1315 > DNSSERVER_A.domain: [udp sum ok] 
13835+ A? pool.ntp.org. (30) (ttl 58, id 5465, len 58)
16:55:48.219177 DNSSERVER_A.domain > MONOWALL_PTR.1315:  13835 q: A?
pool.ntp.org. 15/6/3 pool.ntp.org. A dsl-212-23-29-225.zen.co.uk,
pool.ntp.org.[|domain] (ttl 64, id 21614, len 527, bad cksum 0!)
[...] repeated for every pool.ntp.org A record [...]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have any more ideas, and hope that someone here can provide
some hints on that.

I _assume_ it has something to do with the fact that the interfaces
were xl0 and xl1 on the old hardware, and now are sis1 and sis0 for
LAN and WAN. This change has been made in the configuration XML backup
before uploading it, and besides the DNS problem (and the NTP update
of the monowall time) everything works fine.

-- 
Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and Unix.
I don't think that this is a coincidence.
        -- Anonymous