[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] can't access to a domain name which is hosted in my LAN
 Date:  Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:42:25 -0500
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:28:08 -0330, Anthony Paul <anthonypaul at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I don't think this works if you are using AD on your network.
>
> I appreciate there are a number of workarounds that work to varying
> degrees, and have varying degrees of upkeep, varying degrees of
> configuration complexity, but as one of the above posters said, it's
> frustrating that every $20 router on the market can do this - no
> configuration required.

But a $25K Cisco PIX *can't* do it.  there are other commercial
firewalls with the same limitation.  So I wouldn't moan too much about
it.  your $20 routers also aren't real firewalls, don't support
multiple public IP's and advanced NAT configurations, etc.  Overcoming
it is a lot easier when you can only have one possible public IP and
have very minimal flexibility in configuration.

There are bounce utilities that'll get around this problem.  If it
bugs you that much, find one and figure out how to configure it to get
around this.

-Chris