[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jim at stahlin dot net" <Jim at stahlin dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall general <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance question
 Date:  Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:43:57 -0500
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:02:39 -0600, Jim at stahlin dot net <Jim at stahlin dot net> wrote:
> I have replace my linksys home router with the M0n0wall runnig on some
> old hardware I have and I think it is faster. The main thing is I think
> it can handle more conections that the linksys router but can not be sure.

It might be, but either one will handle more than a typical broadband
connection.  m0n0wall is a real stateful firewall, Linksys is nothing
more than a router that implements NAT.  From a security perspective,
you can't compare the two.  From a speed perspective you can use iperf
to test throughput of a single stream, and there are other tools to
test multiple streams.

I guess my point is that m0n0wall might be faster depending on what
hardware you're using, but it's far more secure so who cares if it is
faster (though that is another benefit).  :)

-Chris