[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jim at stahlin dot net" <Jim at stahlin dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance question
 Date:  Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:25:34 -0500
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:53:03 -0600, Jim at stahlin dot net <Jim at stahlin dot net> wrote:
> Thanks.
> Sounds like you have proven my point for me.
> As a side note.. I have not posted to this email group before and I
> think I may be doing something wrong.  I get 3 copies of every response
> to my thread.  Is this normal?

That's because hitting "reply" would just send it to you, and hitting
most of us are too lazy to take out the "to" line.  :)

The maximum number of connections on the most recent m0n0wall version
is 30,000.  That's the limit of the state table.  If you have a huge
network (thousands of users) or a few hosts infected with a worm that
replicates quickly over the internet, you might exhaust that.
Otherwise it won't happen.  The limit in older versions was 4,000,
which was fine for all but big networks.  It was increased because it
didn't eat up much resources, and since it's compiled into the kernel,
it's difficult for users to change.

Chances are even with a number of hosts on your LAN and running
applications that love to use up connections like games, BitTorrent,
and similar, you aren't going to use more than several hundred, much
less 30,000.  You could test it, but you'd just end up finding out
that it stops accepting new connections at 30,000.

-Chris