[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeb Campbell <jebc at c4solutions dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Bellsouth Static Ip fix/hack (not user%static)
 Date:  Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:19:42 -0600
Bellsouth now hands out static ips for pppoe with the standard
user at bellsouth dot net and the user has to set their ip address.

They say that the old way of user%static is getting phased out (it was
nice because it handed you the correct static address).

The new way is a bit more difficult because if you use
username at bellsouth dot net, it hands you a a dynamic address.

This is a problem for m0n0wall because when you use PPPoE, you can't set
the wan ip.

Anyway a fix that is working so far (Note: I haven't tested with ipsec),
is to download your config.xml and add a <shellcmd> in <system>.

Suppose Bellsouth gave you 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.7, then your gateway is
10.0.0.1 (a bellsouth computer), and your first usable ip is 10.0.0.2
(m0n0wall).

This worked for me in config.xml on 1.2b3:
<shellcmd>ifconfig ng0 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.1; route add default 10.0.0.1
</shellcmd>

Adjust your ip's according to what bellsouth gave you.

I will test this some more (with ipsec), but with just that, NAT 1:1
works for the extra addresses.

Jeb Campbell
jebc at c4solutions dot net