[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'monowall'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] MRTG vs Adobe
 Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:17:06 -0500
A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk wrote:
>> Chris Buechler wrote:
>> the way the filesystem works.  That's one of the trade offs that
has
>> to be made for an embedded-focused system like this, and also one
>> that can run off of only a CD and a floppy.  m0n0wall isn't a hard
>> drive install like Smoothwall or IPCop.  It loads the files into
RAM
>> at boot and runs off a memory disk.
>
> strange - all my m0n0's run from a HD. I must have ignored some
> documentation which denies me such use! ;-)

Even with the Generic PC image, the boot loader loads the OS into RAM
disk at boot. You can even have the HD spin down, it is not needed
unless there is a config change. One of the advantages to using a HD
on a PC based m0n0 is the higher failure rate of floppy diskette on a
CD/Floppy system. Otherwise the Generic PC and the CD/Floppy images
are the same (AFAIK). There was a thread not long ago about power
management that discussed this in depth.

This is also why a CF should not have a problem with the limit on
writes to the media. It is only written to when there is a config
change.

James W. McKeand