[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Kim C. Callis" <kim dot callis at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Some guidance to sort through problems...
 Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:44:36 -0800
Kim,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:30:09 -0800, Kim C. Callis <kim dot callis at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I am dealing with a company that is trying to provide WLAN  service
> for a wide area. One of the sites is a hotel that is connected to
> D-Link 2700AP acting as AP for 20 wirless cameras as well as 20 users.
> I suggested that they add in a mono box to actually route all traffic
> with the 2700 providing conectivity on the LAN side, and on the WAN
> interface I have a D-Link 2100 acting as a wireless client to
> connected to the wireless backhaul.

If I understood you correctly, there is...
[20 users + 20 WiFi cameras] --> 2700AP --> (LAN) m0n0 (WAN) --> 2700
--> wireless backhaul

> The problem that I am having is that I don't know how to generate any
> information to show the mono box is working flawlessly. After I
> implemented the mono box, the PTBs (Powers That Be), said that the
> problem is with the mono box. All of a sudden they are having problems
> with keeping the cameras associated to the access point, etc.

Well whenever you put in something new into a network, it's always
blamed first for the new problems ;)

> My belief is that the APs are not up to the challenge of supporting
> the traffic of the wireless cameras and users. My question is, is
> there any way that I can use mono via logs or any additional programs
> to show that the failure is on the side of the APs and clients, and
> that mono is properly working....

I think a way for you to be able to prove that the traffic is not even
hitting your m0n0 is to place an allow all out on the LAN with
logging.  If you are using m0n0 as a filtered bridge, there would be
more rules like maybe logging WAN out traffic as well, but I'm not
familiar with working with bridging and m0n0 just yet.

Anyhow, after you turn on logging on the allow all rule, you'll have
too many log entries flying by.  You might also have it log any
dropped packets.  You can configure m0n0 to send the log events to a
remote syslog server by setting it up in the log settings.  This way,
rather than the 100 events that you see in m0n0, I'm sure you have a
linux box somewhere that has a syslog server that can receive events
straight from m0n0.  You can analyze the syslogs later and see if the
traffic actually hit the m0n0 or there was just no traffic coming from
the LAN side of things at all (because the AP didn't pass traffic or
something).

/sylikc