[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Kim C. Callis" <kim dot callis at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MRTG vs Adobe
 Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:02:20 -0500
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:44:25 -0800, Kim C. Callis <kim dot callis at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Prior to making the jump to m0n0wall, I was using Smoothwall and
> IPCop. Both of those products used MRTG to display the graphs for the
> system. Both were very timely in keeping on top of band usage.
>
> I am not sure how MRTG or rdd couldn't be just a functional at SVG for
> showing the usage.

There's a difference between what's happening right now, or one second
ago, or 10 seconds ago, vs. the 5 minute average from data collected
once per minute (exact numbers might be off depending on specific
implementation, but that's roughly how MRTG-like apps work).  Each has
its place.

The reason you don't see MRTG like graphs built into m0n0wall is
because there's no good way to maintain the historical data across
reboots.  Everything but the config file is lost at reboot because of
the way the filesystem works.  That's one of the trade offs that has
to be made for an embedded-focused system like this, and also one that
can run off of only a CD and a floppy.  m0n0wall isn't a hard drive
install like Smoothwall or IPCop.  It loads the files into RAM at boot
and runs off a memory disk.

-Chris