[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Keith Redfield" <kredfield at airsurfwireless dot com>
 To:  "Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu" <m3freak at rogers dot com>, "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: [Bulk] Re: [m0n0wall] Configuration for VLANs an multiple WANIPs
 Date:  Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:50:32 -0800
Hi Ranbir,

I don't believe you can actually assign multiple WAN IP's, but you can do 1:1 NAT to multiple IP's
on the WAN side (sorta critical difference).

If these IP's are coming from differend ISP's (multiple DSL's), you've got a martianed hub problem.
You might want to consider migrating to one of the hotbrick-like multiple WAN devices, and then not
use any NAT on m0n0.

You create the VLAN's off the LAN interface (or multiple LAN interfaces)
m0n0wall by default automatically performs NAT on all the internal interfaces
- you need to use the advanced NAT tab to modify this setting.

You'll need a somewhat pricey trunking switch to distribute the VLANs. If you are trying this
wirelessly, it doesn't make very efficient use of the RF (1 radio/vlan required) and you've got
strong potential for interference problems.

On the interface you don't want NAT on, you've got a challenge - the only option I can think of is
bridging, which a) I'm not sure is supported per-VLAN and b) just bothers the heck out of me.

What you've described is essentially what my compamny does. If you would like to reply private I can
give you more details [not a sales pitch] for a way to do it fairly cheap w/o the trunking switch.

Regards,

-Keith

---------------------------------
I've already played with m0n0wall a bit, but my confusion stems from:

1. Not knowing which interface (i.e. WAN or LAN) to use as a parent for
   each VLAN (I'm fairly sure it's the LAN, though...it makes sense)
2. Not knowing if in m0n0wall a VLAN can be assigned a public IP (I can
   type it in, but I don't know if it will work)

I hope that I've given you enough info to see what I'm trying to
accomplish.  At first glance, m0n0wall appears capable of supporting the
above.  I just don't have enough experience with m0n0wall to know for
sure.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ranbir