[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Blais <cblais at watarts dot uwaterloo dot ca>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping
 Date:  Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:17:04 -0500 (EST)
This has probably been asked before, but I don't remember seeing it. Is
there a way to give certain IPs from outside the LAN, "full" bandwidth
allocation?

I have the following simple setup at home (note: All LAN IPs are
192.168.0.*):

-------
|modem|
-------

------------
|m0n0 (.10)|
------------
  |    \
  |     \
  |      \
------  ------
| .6 |  | .8 |
------  ------

I used the traffic shaping wizard and set it to deprioritize all p2p
traffic. After that set of rules (i.e., near the bottom of the list), I
set it up so that connections on ports 22 and 80 in either direction
should have full access to the entire upload and download pipes
(700kbps/2500kbps). However I'm still getting a a very slow connection
between IPs at my school and within my LAN when bittorrent (something in
the most_hated_upload queue) is uploading at full speed. More
specifically, both 192.168.0.8 and 129.97.1.1 are running ssh servers and
connections between the two in either direction are very slow. When I
limit upload rate at the bittorrent client, my speeds increase to what
they should be.

I guess there are two questions:

1. When I setup the traffic shaping, do the high priority connections need
to be listed at the top or does it matter?
2. Is there a way I can make connections from my university (129.97.*.*;
or any other class for that matter) have priority to servers in my LAN
(and vice versa)?

Chris R. Blais                  Department of Psychology
Ph.D. Candidate                 University of Waterloo
Cognition and Perception        200 University Avenue West
(519) 888-4567 x 5012           Waterloo, ON, N2L 3G1
Office: PAS 4042                Canada