[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kasper Pedersen" <m0n0list dash kkp at kasperkp dot dk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN Tagging Support
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:52:04 +0100
----- Original Message -----
>It does not seem that m0n0 is doing any tagging or responding to tags.
>I have read through most of the documentation and found that the
>chipsets in my box (a Lex System CV860A) are not on the supported
>list.  Is this my problem or am I missing something somewhere in the
>configuration.
>Aaron

The CV860A (at least the realtek version) DOES work with a vlan.

The procedure I used:
Add vlan, host is opt1, id is 101
add interface, we now have opt2.
Give opt2 an ip address/range
add a rule to wan to allow ingoing packets destined for that range
add a rule to opt2 to allow outgoing traffic
on the switch - we used a suspiciously poorly documented planet switch -
set:
port 1..23 with vlan id 101..123
create 23 groups so all 23 ports share a group with port 24 (members are 1
untagged ,24 tagged)
plug opt1 into port 24

After you've worn out the mouse you'll be looking for a faster box to run
m0n0 on, since the webgui is a tad slow.

It's a pity m0n0 won't bridge more than two interfaces. I would like to have
a setup where the m0n0 was just a very smart switch.
That would allow me to have 47 clients, with 47 public, routable ips, and
ensure they can't transmit packets with each other's IP address as source.

/Kasper