[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  Robert Rich <rrich at gstisecurity dot com>, Simon SZE-To <simonchs at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: How much does a packet weigh?
 Date:  Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:22:35 +0000
> Sorry to be pedantic, but regardless of kilo, kibi, mega or mebi, a
> lower case 'b' means 'bit' and an uppercase 'B' means byte...where 8
> bits = 1 Byte.

Well, to be even more pedantic, who says 8bits = 1 byte?

Years ago (in the late 70's) I used a computer with 12 bit bytes.

In the comms world, we talk of octets - a sequence of 8 bits - to avoid any
possible confusion.

Lets face it, this whole KB = 1024 vs 1000 thing is nutty.  I also seriously
resent some bunch of shiny-arsed civil servants arbitrarily deciding that the
common computing usage of kilobyte is wrong after god-knows how many years.

Perhaps we should start a campaign...

Peter :-)

Peter Curran				  Leveraging Internet Technology
Close Consultants			       for Businesses
p: +44-1225-463700
f: +44-1225-463705
e: peter at closeconsultants dot com
sip: peter at closeconsultants dot com