[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Krzysztof Syguda" <krzys at wroclaw dot dialog dot net dot pl>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] redirection rule in FW
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:58:52 +0100

> For what intended purpose?

I administer medium-size network with mixed clients type- Individual, corporate, business, students.
I have a couple of servers -mail, proxy (filters for school), www, jabber, some games, others.
- Sometimes it is difficult to make changes on all computers when we test or start new servers or
services (for example www on non standard port) the simplest way is to use rdr rule.
- Redirections is the way to push traffic from some computers on network(I think about school in my
case) via filtering-proxy (dansguardian, squid filter) and forget about them.
- Somebody can use rdr rule to send "very visible" message to some kind of "only_web_browser" users.
- Just for fun :-)

Some additional properites to manipulate rules (like TTL) could be very nice too.
Redirection rule is an important tool to manage network traffic i think.

KS