[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Medium Size VPN Network
 Date:  Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:13:23 -0500
Hello,

We may have the opportunity to set up
a medium size VPN network in the near future.
We're looking at about 80 clients all
interconnected from a central location
over ADSL and Cable links.

While all of these clients need to be
simultaneously connected to the central
concentrator, I don't think these clients
will be collectively pushing more than about
3M to the concentrator itself, as the
central location doesn't have a lot of
bandwidth.

We're planning to set up each client with
dynamic DNS and as a mobile IPSec client
on the m0n0wall concentrator. Would a WRAP
.1D-2 with a vpn1411 card be able to handle
all of those connections plus routing,
firewalling, traffic shaping, and normal
traffic? I know it can push about 10M with
a vpn1411 card in it, but can it handle the
shear number of IPSec connections? Or should
I find something with more RAM? More CPU?

Is anyone else running a massive hub-like
VPN configuration like this? Any tips and/or
warnings?

TIA!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator