[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Chad R. Larson" <chad at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] making changes
 Date:  Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:38:30 +0100 (CET)
Chad R. Larson said:
> not sure how that makes a difference to the clients.  I've noted that the
> normal code which updates the /etc/resolv.conf file on the m0n0wall if the
> upstream DHCP server hands a new list of DNS servers has been lobotomized,
> and I don't know why.

Because you may want to override the DHCP-assigned DNS servers (and
domain) with your own, and the time at which resolv.conf is overwritten by
the DHCP client is not predictable. We should probably call PHP from that
script and have it decide whether the DHCP-assigned DNS servers should be
used. Of course the scheme would have to be adapted to handle PPPoE/PPTP
connections, too. I'll have a look at that sometime. I consider it a
detail, though - it's just that it could make m0n0wall completely
plug-and-play in case of DHCP being used on WAN: no DNS server address
setup necessary.

- Manuel