[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Craft <ccraft at netgenius dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Trouble installing to harddisk
 Date:  Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:05:52 -0700
Hello folks.

First of all, THANKS to all the developers for their efforts on this
software gem!

I have tried the procedure to install generic-pc-pb19r536.img to a hard
drive on a machine that boots from the CDROM version just fine.  (The
reason why I'm doing this is because the @#!!$ floppy drive is now
toast, and I like the reliability of hard drives better.)  It didn't
work.  After writing the uncompressed image to the drive (gunzip -c g* |
dd of=/dev/hdc), and swapped that drive in as /dev/hda... caused the
bios to hang. Plugged the linux drive back in as hda, plugged my
m0n0wall drive in as hdc, and it still hung the bios.  Unplugged the
m0n0wall drive, and the linux drive booted fine.  Pulled a nasty trick
(kids, don't do this at home!) by plugging the ide cable in to the
m0n0wall drive after BIOS-POST, and zeroed the boot sector of it after
linux had come up.  This allowed the machine to boot normally, but, of
course, no m0n0wall. :(  I'm extremely impressed by m0n0wall's ease of
use and flexibility, but stymied by this unexpected behaviour.  Any
hints, anyone?

Sincerely,
Chris.