[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at wenck dot com dot au>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] making changes
 Date:  Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:48:57 -0500
> >On 18.11.2003, at 00:32, Phil Greenway wrote:
>
>  >> I really need to get this DHCP lease extended ... it's either that or
>  >> I'll have to remove m0n0wall and replace it with NetBoz. NetBoz when
>  >> acting like a DHCP server - we never had any dropouts ... so I don't
>  >> know if they implement DHCP differently.
>
>  >Are you really sure that increasing the DHCP lease time will make the
> problem go away altogether and not just increase >the time it takes for
> it to pop up? I've been running DHCP on my m0n0walls for months and
> never had any dropouts >(with different kinds of equipment, Macintoshes,
> Windows PCs, *nix...). Does m0n0wall log anything suspicious, like >DHCP
> related packets being blocked, or DHCP server error messages?
>  >

Maybe not, but I think we can all agree that not being able to configure
this option is a hinderance, and the default option of 10 minutes is
extremely low.  Who wants their machines renewing IPs every 5 minutes?  That
seems pretty silly.  But sure, if you do want that, it would be nice to be
able to configure it the way you want.

I personally have come across my Windows XP machines losing connectivity
twice, and it was most annoying.  It always appears to be 2 machines that
simultaneously drop connection.  Upon trying to check IPCONFIG, I couldn't
with an error saying "ipconfig could not initialize".  Try to ping, same
error.  Both machines did the same thing at exactly the same time.  Can't be
a coincidence.  The only thing that fixed them, reboot them both.  I can't
say I did much diagnostics, but I can say, this never happened with my
Netopia router with a configurable DHCP lease time which I had set to 3
days.  :-)

My situation isn't mission critical because they're home workstations, but
if it were, I'd probably be axing m0n0wall too because of it.  I couldn't
imagine people constantly yelling at me because they got disconnected from
the internet, AGAIN.  :-)

Is this so hard to implement?  I can't say I'm a programmer, and I wouldn't
presume to say I know how to do this, but if it isn't too hard, I'd vote for
it to be implemented in the next release.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and Manuel, once again, thanks for such an
excellent piece of software that you've asked nothing for.  :-)

Chris

---