[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael A. Alderete" <lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] making changes
 Date:  Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:11:35 -0800
>>  >Are you really sure that increasing the DHCP lease time will make the
>> problem go away altogether and not just increase >the time it takes for
>> it to pop up? I've been running DHCP on my m0n0walls for months and
>> never had any dropouts >(with different kinds of equipment, Macintoshes,
>> Windows PCs, *nix...). Does m0n0wall log anything suspicious, like >DHCP
>> related packets being blocked, or DHCP server error messages?
>
>Is this so hard to implement?  I can't say I'm a programmer, and I wouldn't
>presume to say I know how to do this, but if it isn't too hard, I'd vote for
>it to be implemented in the next release.

I think Manuel is concerned (rightly, IMHO) that, if all he does is extend
the lease time, or allow us to do so via the interface, then it'll just
mask another issue.

So, yes, being able to configure the default lease would be nice, but given
that there are many people successfully using m0n0wall's current DHCP
solution, it would be good to try to first determine what's different about
the networks where it doesn't work, especially to understand if the problem
lies with m0n0wall, or elsewhere.

Is there anyone on the list who can provide further troubleshooting and/or
diagnostic advice for folks with problems? Any of the folks with problems
able to keep at least a small "failing" network set up to work on tracking
down the problem?

Michael

Michael A. Alderete           <mailto:lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
                                     <http://www.alderete.com>