[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] making changes
 Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:11:58 +0100
On 21.11.2003, at 01:48, Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:

> Maybe not, but I think we can all agree that not being able to
> configure
> this option is a hinderance, and the default option of 10 minutes is

Yes, thanks, I got the message three days ago:

---
On 18.11.2003, at 08:43, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Ping Kwong said:
>> I'm only using it on a few workstations.  I am one of those that wish
>> that the DHCP lease times could be longer or configurable.  Is there a
>
> Yeah, that's the next thing I'll do - just give me some time. And no
> thanks, I don't need any code - I just need time to get around to
> firing
> up my dev system, rebuilding and testing the images and uploading them
---

FYI, the feature has already been implemented and tested in the
meantime (fields on the DHCP setup page to specify the default/max
lease time, and I added WINS server support as well while I was at it).
I still haven't got around to building new images, though. But that
should happen before next week, so could you all please stop begging
and ranting now? I wonder why this hasn't come up earlier anyway -
m0n0wall's DHCP server function hasn't changed much in the last few
releases.

> extremely low.  Who wants their machines renewing IPs every 5 minutes?
>  That

Those values came from the sample dhcpd.conf that comes with isc-dhcpd
3.0... I guess I'll increase the default to 3600/86400 seconds.

> a coincidence.  The only thing that fixed them, reboot them both.  I
> can't

Now that doesn't convince me that it's m0n0wall's fault. ;)

> Netopia router with a configurable DHCP lease time which I had set to 3
> days.  :-)

Talking about working around the problem... I'd really like to know
exactly why it doesn't work, but I guess that will have to wait until I
can reproduce the problem here.

> My situation isn't mission critical because they're home workstations,
> but
> if it were, I'd probably be axing m0n0wall too because of it.  I
> couldn't

Well, I think that anybody with a network large enough to be "mission
critical" and have more than one server shouldn't be using m0n0wall's
built-in DHCP server anyway (for lack of manageability). Especially
those with Windows 2000 domains and ADS.

> Is this so hard to implement?  I can't say I'm a programmer, and I
> wouldn't

No. If you wanted, you could have just grepped for "default-lease-time"
and would have found the appropriate line to change in services.inc.
But I agree that building new images isn't straightforward (especially
if you don't have any FreeBSD machines around).

> excellent piece of software that you've asked nothing for.  :-)

That's why I hate it when people are complaining with very vague bug
reports that I can't make any use of at all. As if the DHCP server was
m0n0wall's most important and critical feature.

- Manuel