[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] making changes
 Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:11:58 +0100
On 21.11.2003, at 01:48, Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:

> Maybe not, but I think we can all agree that not being able to
> configure
> this option is a hinderance, and the default option of 10 minutes is

Yes, thanks, I got the message three days ago:

On 18.11.2003, at 08:43, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Ping Kwong said:
>> I'm only using it on a few workstations.  I am one of those that wish
>> that the DHCP lease times could be longer or configurable.  Is there a
> Yeah, that's the next thing I'll do - just give me some time. And no
> thanks, I don't need any code - I just need time to get around to
> firing
> up my dev system, rebuilding and testing the images and uploading them

FYI, the feature has already been implemented and tested in the
meantime (fields on the DHCP setup page to specify the default/max
lease time, and I added WINS server support as well while I was at it).
I still haven't got around to building new images, though. But that
should happen before next week, so could you all please stop begging
and ranting now? I wonder why this hasn't come up earlier anyway -
m0n0wall's DHCP server function hasn't changed much in the last few

> extremely low.  Who wants their machines renewing IPs every 5 minutes?
>  That

Those values came from the sample dhcpd.conf that comes with isc-dhcpd
3.0... I guess I'll increase the default to 3600/86400 seconds.

> a coincidence.  The only thing that fixed them, reboot them both.  I
> can't

Now that doesn't convince me that it's m0n0wall's fault. ;)

> Netopia router with a configurable DHCP lease time which I had set to 3
> days.  :-)

Talking about working around the problem... I'd really like to know
exactly why it doesn't work, but I guess that will have to wait until I
can reproduce the problem here.

> My situation isn't mission critical because they're home workstations,
> but
> if it were, I'd probably be axing m0n0wall too because of it.  I
> couldn't

Well, I think that anybody with a network large enough to be "mission
critical" and have more than one server shouldn't be using m0n0wall's
built-in DHCP server anyway (for lack of manageability). Especially
those with Windows 2000 domains and ADS.

> Is this so hard to implement?  I can't say I'm a programmer, and I
> wouldn't

No. If you wanted, you could have just grepped for "default-lease-time"
and would have found the appropriate line to change in services.inc.
But I agree that building new images isn't straightforward (especially
if you don't have any FreeBSD machines around).

> excellent piece of software that you've asked nothing for.  :-)

That's why I hate it when people are complaining with very vague bug
reports that I can't make any use of at all. As if the DHCP server was
m0n0wall's most important and critical feature.

- Manuel