[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at wenck dot com dot au" <m0n0wall at wenck dot com dot au>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] making changes
 Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:34:28 -0700
At 05:22 PM 11/20/2003, Phil Greenway wrote:
>Please note - we are using Remote Desktop on about 20 PCs and these are
>the ones with issues - where networking is the most important thing.
>Everytime it goes to get an new IP, their remote desktop session freezes
>and they are forcifully disconnected from the Windows 2000 Servers.

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.  I run Microsoft's RDP
client for both Macintosh and Windows with m0n0wall providing DHCP service
and DNS forwarding to them.  No dropouts.  Stay connected as long as I want
(days).

I wouldn't swear moving to NetBoz won't cure your problem (whatever it
=really= is), but I doubt it is the DHCP server.

Have you checked to see if your clients are getting the same IP address
each time?  Check the DHCP logs (Diagnostice->System Logs->DHCP) to see
what addresses are being handed out.  Or run "ipconfig /all" from a command
prompt on the client before and after a disconnect.  If your clients are
moving around in the IP address space, you can see why they'd lose their
connection.

If you =aren't= getting the same address, check that the pool you told
m0n0wall to work out of has more IP addresses than you have clients.  You
might also consider wiring down the IP to MAC addressing for your clients
(look at the static mapping section at the bottom of the DHCP configuration
screen).  That could be a pain if you have a lot of clients, but try it
anyway for one or two to see if it changes the behavior.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --