[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Chris Craft <ccraft at netgenius dot org>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble installing to harddisk
 Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:39:39 -0700
At 05:05 PM 11/20/2003, Chris Craft wrote:
>I have tried the procedure to install generic-pc-pb19r536.img to a hard
>drive on a machine that boots from the CDROM version just fine.  (The
>reason why I'm doing this is because the @#!!$ floppy drive is now toast,
>and I like the reliability of hard drives better.)

You'll like it even more better if you take out the hard drive all
together.  Set the CD-ROM to be the boot device.  Burn the
"generic-pc-cdrom" ISO onto a CD-R (those little 8mm ones are very cute)
and put it in the drive.  Once the m0n0wall is up and running, the CD drive
spins down and you have no moving parts.  In fact, if you have an old
(read: slow) enough CPU, you won't even need any fans. It's not going to
get any more reliable than that.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --