[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Multiple WAN and traffic sharing
 Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:47:56 -0800
Radoslaw Krupa wrote:
> Hi, I've 1Mb ADSL that's heavily loaded especialy by p2p traffic. So I've
> got a next one ADSL connection that I would like to dedicate for p2p. How
> can I split traffic from LAN betweeen these connections? I would like have
> one adsl for www, emails and second one for p2p, IM, etc. I'm thinging about
> routing high ports (1025_65xxxx) throught one and low ports (1-1024)
> throught another one. Is it good idea? How can I achieve that using m0n0?
>
> Problem nr.2. What about ACK packets priorytizing? When someone is uploading
> and saturates the pipe my downloads are slowing very much. What can be done
> for this?

The simplest way to give greater weight to interactive traffic
is to do it based on packet size.  IPFW2 in FreeBSD current
supports selection on ranges of packetsize.  How you'd do this
in IPFILTER I have no idea.

Bulk transfers are almost always at the MTU size (1500, normally)
and interactive traffic usually is < 256 bytes/packet.  You
could make two queues and make 1024 bytes the split point, and
give the queue for smaller packets greater weight.  You might
try RED/GRED on the queue for bulk traffic, too.