[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "W. Brian Jurkowski" <bjurkowski at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Slow VPN connection
 Date:  Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:18:30 +0100
On 22.11.2003, at 22:45, W. Brian Jurkowski wrote:

> Now for my question:
>
> I have m0n0wall set up at my home office (with a cable modem) and I
> VPN into it from various remote locations (typically DSL or T1 lines).
>  VPN works GREAT but it's very slow from my laptop (running Windows
> 2000 Pro).  I checked my VPN connection status and it shows 1,534
> error this session!
> Is that normal?

Well, it seems like MPD (the PP(T)P client/server used in m0n0wall)
definitely has some problems with PPTP. I've seen this issue (high
packet loss, etc.), too - I used to think it was related to Win XP
because I haven't experienced it with Win 2000 yet, but that might just
as well be a coincidence. If you have a look at some posts on

you'll see that quite a few other users are having the same problem.
One of the posts has a patch to ng_pptpgre.c in it that I think I'll
try some time, but other than that, nobody really seems to have a
solution (not even the original author of MPD).

There's most likely nothing wrong with your setup - just something with
MPD. My point of view, though, is that this is not a problem with
m0n0wall itself - I can't always fix other people's software (I had to
do that twice with ipfilter so far). The only alternative would be
Poptop, but I don't like it very much (it works together with the slow
FreeBSD userland ppp).

So I'm afraid there's probably no simple solution to your problem right
now. You can try playing with MTU settings, turning multilink on/off,
etc., but that probably won't make the problem go away completely.

- Manuel