[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <chris at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Multiple WAN links and an attempt at load-balancing
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:18:38 -0000
I know the topic of multiple WANs and load balancing has been done to death
on the list, but I had some thoughts on it this evening and wondered it it
could be done with 2 m0n0wall boxes and two groups of clients, each group
connected to separate m0n0walls. Would it then be possible to use the static
route functionality to "link" the two m0n0wall boxes together on an OPT
interface?

Rather than a poor attempt at ASCII art, I've uploaded an image of what I
had in mind here:
http://www.minotaur.cc/m0n0wall.gif

In theory this should allow for something close to load balancing over a
reasonable number of clients, all with similar traffic demands (i.e. office
use). It could be extended by providing a Squid box on each "side" of the
network and clients set up with an autoconfiguration proxy script to load
balance between the two Squid boxes, thus giving true load balancing for
HTTP traffic.

Questions for anyone who's interested:

1) Is this even feasible?
2) I assume a static route would be required to link the two subnets
together with the other m0n0wall as the gateway? How would one define the
static route?
3) How would one handle things like port forwarding? (e.g. ftp server on one
side of the network needs to be accessed from the other side's WAN). Can
port forwarding or 1:1 NAT traverse a static route?

Thanks in advance folks!

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579