[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Vaughan <talltim at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Suggestions for an ethernet modem
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:28:19 +0000
After our Zyxel router/modem reset itself at the office I work at I've
been asked to get some new kit that will make sure the network works
if we have another power cut.  Since the Zyxel doesn't allow defining
static leases for hosts on the network we lost them all after the
reset and they were all different which causes all sorts of confusion.
 At my flat I'm running m0n0wall on a net4521 with an X-Modem CE
providing the ADSL connection.  This modem is useful because it can
work as a transparent bridge so as far as the m0n0wall machine is
concerned it has a direct connection to the internet and I think it
would be ideal for use at work.
However, my consumer requirements are less stringent than they are at
my office and I'm a bit wary of using the X-Modem CE
(http://www.adslnation.com/products/xmodem-ce.php).  Does anyone have
any other possible recommendations for a similar product which will
make itself 'invisible' and let m0n0wall do all the
routing/firewalling etc.?  It needs to be usable on the UK ADSL
network (PPPoA).

Thanks in advance,

Tim