[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Matchstick <matchstick at oofg dot com>
 To:  Tim Vaughan <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Suggestions for an ethernet modem
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:48:49 +0000
Tim Vaughan wrote:
> After our Zyxel router/modem reset itself at the office I work at I've
> been asked to get some new kit that will make sure the network works
> if we have another power cut.  Since the Zyxel doesn't allow defining
> static leases for hosts on the network we lost them all after the
> reset and they were all different which causes all sorts of confusion.
>  At my flat I'm running m0n0wall on a net4521 with an X-Modem CE
> providing the ADSL connection.  This modem is useful because it can
> work as a transparent bridge so as far as the m0n0wall machine is
> concerned it has a direct connection to the internet and I think it
> would be ideal for use at work.
> However, my consumer requirements are less stringent than they are at
> my office and I'm a bit wary of using the X-Modem CE
> (http://www.adslnation.com/products/xmodem-ce.php).  Does anyone have
> any other possible recommendations for a similar product which will
> make itself 'invisible' and let m0n0wall do all the
> routing/firewalling etc.?  It needs to be usable on the UK ADSL
> network (PPPoA).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim

I've been using a Westell 6100 with a Filtered Bridge m0n0wall for about
4 months now and apart a slight problem working out how to configure it
it's worked fine. (You specify the routers IP address and subnet in the
Public LAN section and leave the private LAN section blank. You can then
access the router from the LAN side by connecting to the internal HTTP
server on port 2420 of the specified IP address)

However before that I was using a VERY basic conexant chipset modem
(AMX-CA61E) which also seemed to work quite nicely with a static
netblock as well.
Personally my guess is that most ADSL kit in the UK will now work with
static IP address blocks.

If you want more info you could try the reviews pages at
www.adslguide.org.uk (and also the DSL Hardware discussions folder of
their forums)

Paul
matchstick at oofg dot com