[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Tim Vaughan'" <talltim at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Suggestions for an ethernet modem
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:27:32 -0000
We've been here before, haven't we? ;-)

> However, my consumer requirements are less stringent than
> they are at my office and I'm a bit wary of using the X-Modem
> CE (http://www.adslnation.com/products/xmodem-ce.php).  Does
> anyone have any other possible recommendations for a similar
> product which will make itself 'invisible' and let m0n0wall
> do all the routing/firewalling etc.?  It needs to be usable
> on the UK ADSL network (PPPoA).

I still don't think you can beat the X-Modem CE. I've had one running here
for well over 6 months now and I've not had the slightest problem with it.

There are still the m0n0wall issues (namely that you need to change the
default gateway from the IP to the interface, but that's been well and truly
documented on the list). Hopefully that might be addressed in a future
m0n0wall version - IIRC Adam Wilkes who provided the code for a patch to the
list a few months ago. Don't know whether it's been integrated into the
latest betas yet though.

not even had to run the gateway patch on the m0n0 box for a couple of
months. The router + X-Modem use so little power that even with a cheapy UPS
they get over half an hour of battery backup - well beyond the duration of
most power blips.

The only alternative I can think of is the D-Link DSL-300T which is
certainly a lot cheaper than the X-Modem, if that's likely to be a
consideration. Judging by the mail I get off-list from people who've
discovered my posts in the archives, the same fix for the X-Modem also works
for the 300T.

Probably worth mentioning - I've not tried the X-Modem with an ISP that
gives out a block of IPs. I'd strongly suggest perusing the ADSLNation
forums to see if such a thing is possible, especially if your office gets a
static IP block. I wouldn't have thought it'd be a problem, but still a good
idea to check.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579