[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Angus Jordan <angus dot jordan at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSEC Site-to-site VPN firewall
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:25:28 +0100
On 27.01.2005 06:22 -0800, Angus Jordan wrote:

> I can't say for sure that this is directly related to the fact that
> ipfilter and ipfw are used in conjunction.  In theory, the afore
> mentioned scenario should work.

The problem with filtering IPsec traffic is not that the decrypted
packets don't pass through ipfilter - they can be made to do that.
Actually, if IPSEC_FILTERGIF is set in the kernel config, IPsec
tunnel traffic passes through the filter twice - once when it comes
in as ESP packets (where it doesn't make much sense to filter yet
though), and again as decrypted packets on the same interface
(usually WAN). Unfortunately, AFAIK there's no way to distinguish
between successfully decrypted ESP packets and regular unencrypted
packets once they hit ipfilter, so you might actually permit
undesirable unencrypted packets as well. This is the reason why
IPSEC_FILTERGIF is not set in m0n0wall kernels.

> I know there is a way (according to the FreeBSD handbook) to put all
> this IPSEC traffic through a virtual network interface (gif0, gif1,
> etc).  Similar to how the PPTP server works with the ng0, ng1
> interfaces.  If this was how things were done then traffic could
> easily be filtered.

I haven't looked into using gif interfaces in conjunction with IPsec
tunnels, but if anyone can propose a secure (resistant to spoofing)
and interoperable (with other IPsec implementations) solution, that
would be very interesting.

Greets,

Manuel