[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael A. Alderete" <lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall works with Soekris net4501 + lan1621?
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:34:02 -0800
>> Will m0n0wall work, and recognize the extra Ethernet interfaces, of a
>> Soekris net4501 with a Soekris lan1621 added to it?
>
>It should.  The DP83816 chipset is supported by the sis driver, same
>as the three onboard NIC's in the 4501.

Yes, that was the conjecture in the prior thread also:

<http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=91&actionargs[]=58>

And certainly, given the chipset, there's no known reason why the card
shouldn't work with m0n0wall, if nothing else, in a PC.

But, no one stepped in and confirmed that the Soekris version of m0n0wall
would recognize and allow use of _all five_ network interfaces on a
net4501+lan1621 or a net4801+lan1621 combination.

I'm hoping that someone on the list has at least tried it, or someone
donated hardware to Manuel, and we can definitively say that it works as
one would guess and hope. My primary concern is that somewhere in the
start-up or user interface code there's an expectation (at least for the
net4x01 version) that there are no more than three interfaces of a
particular type. There's also the concern that the lan16x1s are pretty new,
and who knows, maybe there's something tricky there.

Seems unlikely, but I'm about to spend $100 to buy the hardware and revised
case, so I'd prefer to be sure, or at least confident...

Thanks!

Michael

Michael A. Alderete           <mailto:lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
                                     <http://www.alderete.com>