[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hans-Joachim Fabry <hjfabry at vitesse dash fabry dot de>
 To:  Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte at yahoo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall wont boot from soekris 4501's CF
 Date:  Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:57:52 +0100
I don't have so much experience with the soekris box, but with my
Lex Mini i had to deselect the LBA mode and change to CHS
(cylinder/head/sector) mode.

In LBA mode CF cards with a capacity greater than 8MByte were able
to boot, but refused to read the configuration file. The reason for
this is that the FreeBSD IDE driver (a CF card has a IDE interface)
relies on the BIOS information for the disk geometry.

In LBA mode some BIOS implementations seem to return wrong values
for the geometry. The Lex bios returned only 1 head, no matter which
type of CF i was using.

Good luck

Achim

Bsd Neophyte schrieb:

> gracias... i'll give it a shot.  i guess this is what i get for buying the
> cheapest brand.
>
> btw, when i set the device as the primary it is detected by the soekris
> box, so i know it's seeing it.  you still think it could be the CF?
>
> --- Graham Dunn <gdunn at inscriber dot com> wrote:
>

>>Bsd Neophyte wrote:
>>

>>>i've run the image copy on the installation page from a win box to the
>>>flash device, but for some reason the 4501 wont boot off of the CF.
>>>
>>>this is what i get:
>>>
>>>-------
>>>

>>[snip]
>>

>>>No Boot device available, enter monitor.
>>>

>>>comBIOS Monitor.   Press ? for help.
>>>
>>>-----------
>>>
>>>any ideas what's going on here?
>>>

>>Try a different CF card. I had the same problem with a Kingston 128M CF.
>>
>>Another one of the same make and model worked fine. Someone told me that
>>
>>the Soekris people recommend SanDisk (I've had good experiences with
>>them as well).
>>
>>Graham

We are supporting Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and OpenPGP
Ing. Buro Vitesse-Fabry
Hans-Joachim Fabry
Beymestrasse 14
DE-12167 Berlin
Phone: +49 30 79705720
Fax:   +49 30 79705719
Mail:  hjfabry at vitesse dash fabry dot com