[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Hopper <dhop at nwlink dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Captive portal w/ custom kernel?
 Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:05:25 -0800
Hi all,

I am trying to make minor changes to the generic-pc image to allow SATA
drives (/dev/ad4 nodes) and a newer gigabit Intel card (em driver
backport from 4.11 to 4.10) to function.  I understand fully the
procedure from http://m0n0.ch/wall/hack.  Here's what I've tried over
the past four days:

1.11 root filesystem, 4.11 kernel (without m0n0wall kernel patches)
1.2b3 root filesystem, 4.11 kernel (without m0n0wall kernel patches)

1.11 root filesystem, 4.10 kernel (with and without all m0n0wall kernel
patches)
1.2b3 root filesystem, 4.10 kernel (with and without all m0n0wall
kernel patches)

The kernel patches applied cleanly.  In all cases, compiling my own
kernel using the kernel config at http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads results
in a functioning m0n0wall, up until I turn on the captive portal
feature.  All packets, including DHCP, are then blocked.

Captive portal works fine on another system, using the same config.xml,
and any default m0n0wall kernel via bootable CD.

Are there kernel config options that are missing from the example?
Note that the (em) backport shouldn't be the culprit, as the captive
portal fails on a USB ethernet adapter with a custom kernel as well.

--Dave