 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] "Virtual" interfaces ?
 Date:  Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:09:43 +0100
> Hi guys, Im using 3nic and its working good. My question: Is it possible to create virtual
interfaces?
> I need to have 25subnets: x.x.1.x, x.x.2.x - x.x.25.x but i dont have 25 slots :-)

It is, but go for a sollution with a 26-port managed switch with VLAN.
Setup 25 interfaces on their own VLAN, and get the switch to send each
VLAN to a separate port (or the number of ports needing access to a
certain VLAN)

> Each user will be in differen subnet and therefore they can't communicate
> without m0n0 and than I have possibility to controll traffic between users.
> (it like "isilation" mode)

Setting up 25 subnets on a single segment don't help at all. Anybody
could just change IP manually and access another subnet.

> Im sure it will work because OPT1 to LAN its working absolutelly cooool!

Yep it does, but you need 25 interfaces to isolate the 25 clients.
That's hard to reach, but a VLAN-capable switch with enough ports can do
the job for you.