[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Nardone <jnardone at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] boot problem - how to diagnose?
 Date:  Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:48:43 -0500
Just to follow up on this and provide some closure:

I finally broke down and set up a FBSD 4.10 environment and rebuilt
the kernel *without* psm0 (mouse) support.  After some gyrations
trying to create an appropriate 8MB flash image (and dealing with
differing interpretations of drive geometry between the BIOS and the
OS) I can now boot the Watchguard Firebox II with m0n0wall
successfully.

If anyone comes across one of these boxes, I'll throw out a few
details on what I've been able to discover (I didn't see it in the
archives...)

- the 44 pin connector on the motherboard is a standard 2.5" hard
drive adapter; it won't boot off a CD.  I set up Redhat 6.2 via a
laptop and then used that as my staging drive.
- JP13 controls whether the on-board flash (8 MB) is master, or the
IDE port (the other is slave).  Default config is the flash (the right
two pins).  (** closing the pins on JP7 erases the flash! **)
- the 2 PCI slots on the board are backwards; if you take a header off
a card you can plug it in (like a VGA card to get into the BIOS)
- the 6-pin connector on the far left of the motherboard is a PS/2
keyboard port - the pins map directly to pins 1-6 in a round
connector.
- as stated, the psm0 detection in the GENERIC kernel hangs the boot
process.  There's nothing I could figure to disable this behavior
without a custom kernel. :(
- the 3 NICs on board are tulip/21143 chips
- FBSD detects the on-board flash as 250/2/32; the BIOS defaults it to
250/4/16.  If you don't change the BIOS the boot panics because it
can't mount root.  (When creating the image file to flash, you have to
use 248 cylinders instead.-- 15872 sectors max)

Now, off to play.

Joe