[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Gurmeet Bedi <GregBedi at valeti dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need help with VPN and DNS.
 Date:  Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:02:12 -0500
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:30:47 -0500, Gurmeet Bedi <GregBedi at valeti dot com> wrote:

> I get the following when use the nslookup util to test
>
> C:\nslookup
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.10.2.9: Non-existent domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Default Server:  UnKnown
> Address:  10.10.2.9

That's typical when you don't have the reverse DNS set up
appropriately on the DNS server, which Windows servers don't by
default.  My first guess would be you get the exact same thing when
doing that from the main site.  Should still work, but for best DNS
functionality you need the reverse DNS zones.

If you then enter in some sort of host name, does it resolve it?
Since it's one PC I wouldn't bother putting a DNS server onsite.  Over
the VPN will work fine.  I'd look at server issues, since you can ping
the server, connectivity seems to be fine.

-Chris