[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  andyiowalist at mchsi dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Can't seem to block bittorrent and other P2P traffic
 Date:  Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:44:34 +0000
Running m0n0wall 1.2b3.  i have a WAN interface, a LAN interface (gigabit only
with jumbo frames) and an OPT1 interface (fast ethernet and the rest).
The LAN inteface IP is 192.168.1.1 and the OPT1 interface is 192.168.2.1

For each interface, I have setup the following:

Proto    Source       Port       Destination    Port
TCP/UDP   *         6881-6889         *           *      (Drop)
TCP/UDP   *             *             *       6881-6889  (Drop)

Is this correct?

Now while a bunch of packets seem to be dropped, BitTorrent Traffic still gets
through.  The problem is the upload shoots up and my cable modem download speed
drops.  This is really annoying because I can't seem to convince one of my
roommates that his BT usage is killing our download speed and affecting everyone.

I'm tempted to remove that everything goes out default in the OPT1 and WAN, and
while allowing everything from LAN, restricting for ports 1-1024 (and a few more
higher) on the OPT1.

Suggestions?