[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "andyiowalist at mchsi dot com" <andyiowalist at mchsi dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't seem to block bittorrent and other P2P traffic
 Date:  Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:46:38 -0500
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:44:34 +0000, andyiowalist at mchsi dot com
<andyiowalist at mchsi dot com> wrote:
> Running m0n0wall 1.2b3.  i have a WAN interface, a LAN interface (gigabit only
> with jumbo frames) and an OPT1 interface (fast ethernet and the rest).
> The LAN inteface IP is 192.168.1.1 and the OPT1 interface is 192.168.2.1
>
> For each interface, I have setup the following:
>
> Proto    Source       Port       Destination    Port
> TCP/UDP   *         6881-6889         *           *      (Drop)
> TCP/UDP   *             *             *       6881-6889  (Drop)

You should only need destination port.  BT uses 6881-6999 now, so it's
probably using one of those higher numbered ports after the lower ones
don't work.

> Now while a bunch of packets seem to be dropped, BitTorrent Traffic still gets
> through.  The problem is the upload shoots up and my cable modem download speed
> drops.  This is really annoying because I can't seem to convince one of my
> roommates that his BT usage is killing our download speed and affecting everyone.

Have you tried using traffic shaper to just slow the BT traffic rather
than dropping it altogether?

-Chris