[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Realtek 8139 based ethernet NICs, 5 pack, free
 Date:  Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:37:02 -0500 (EST)
This was posted to the NY Linux User's Group list.

Sunny Dubey wrote:
> Compusa has the Dlink DFE-530TX+ (Realtek 8139 based) 5 pack for free
> after $30 Mail-In-Rebate.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313399&ref=cj&pfp=cj

This ethernet card is supported by freebsd
according to this web site
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET

Below, are some amused comments from another reader that relate.

>I'm reminded of what the author of the FreeBSD 8139 driver had to say
>about the chip.  It's a rant about how badly the chip is designed, right
>in the source to the driver itself.  As a nerd, I find it mildly amusing:

> http://tinyurl.com/52wex

>Regardless, they do work (on Linux too) and now are
> apparently nearly free :)

....and it took longer to write this message than to order a pak